When you are looking for a new roof, the roofing material you choose will make a huge difference in the price, appearance, performance, maintenance, and durability of your new roof. Asphalt tiles, wood tiles, composite tiles, concrete tiles, metal roofing -all of these options vary widely. You can contact us for free metal roofing estimate.
Image Source: Google
Quality metal roofing, properly installed, will last 40 to 50 years, protect against water, withstand strong winds, and easily shed snow. The fact that the metal resists fire, mildew, insects, and rot means longevity.
In comparison, the list below shows how long other roofing materials will last, according to a study by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).
- Asphalt tiles – 20 years
- Fiber cement tiles – 25 years
- Modified asphalt roof – 20 years
- Timber tiles and shakes – 30 years
Metal roofing can last up to 50 years depending on weather conditions, processing, or unforeseen damage. Approximately equal to:
- Simulation slate – 50 years
- Real slate – 50+ years
- Clay/concrete roof – 50+ years
Metal roofing weighs 1 to 3 pounds per square foot depending on the thickness and texture of the material. It is one of the lightest roofing materials out there. For comparison, here are the typical weights of other roofing materials:
- Metal Roof- 1.5 pounder square foot
- Conventional Asphalt Tiles – from 2 to 3.5 pounds per square foot
- Textured asphalt tiles (architecture) – from 3.5 to 5 pounds per square foot